Friday, March 18, 2011

Moving North-Ubud, Bali

Ubud truly lives up to its reputation for being the art center of Bali.  Every area has a different craft represented which is clearly shown by just looking down the street you are on.  We first noticed this as the landscape turned from surfer commercialized beach town to villages and rice paddy terraces illuminating green and extending miles back from the road we were traveling.  The first look at culture we noticed was a funeral procession in the street up ahead.  Many people marched around in their traditional garb (sarongs, lace tops, and head pieces).  Some were carrying a white coffin over their shoulders sitting under a 7 foot tall white tent and one person situated firmly in front of it.  They were twirling the coffin in circles.  We were unsure what this was at first but figured it out when one of the locals signaled that it was a spirit leaving a body and floating to heaven.  Woodcarvers, silversmiths, stone carvers, handweavers, and many others line the shops all day.  While I was wandering around in a neighborhood of Mas, Ubud, I stopped at a woodshop called 'Ghana Export,' which I soon learned was an abbreviation for Ganesha, the Hindu God, as opposed to a reference to Africa.  But I wouldn't be disappointed as Pasta, a third generation owner of the shop invited me into one of the largest most creative woodworking places I'd ever seen!  In the middle of a little village of about 10 rooms, several carvers were busy creating their masterpieces. I was amazed at how much detail is put into each piece and found myself staring at their smooth and graceful techniques.  Pasta then led me into the first room which was themed Ebony wood, followed by a Mahogeny room, Crockodile wood, Sandal Wood, and the local Balinese Wood.  Some were painted and some still bare their natural wood coloring.  How many more little worlds like this exist behind the stone walls that hide them from the street?
Beautiful Rice Terraces of Bali 


  The most stimulating temple I've ever visited-Tirta Empul Temple.  Behind the Balinese stone-carved walls were 2 separate baths of 'holy' water.  This was a holy cleanse for Hindus.  For people to rid of any sins or bad things they had done in their lives, any bad luck they've had with jobs, or any illness in their families.  The clear water bode much color through the abundance of flower petals, pink, white, yellow, blue, floating.  It was difficult to tell the seriousness level of the temple because there were several kids shouting, laughing, joking around with each other.  Yet others were filling glass jars, drinking the water, and praying completely bare.  There was something very special about this water that brought the Balinese culture together.  I was hesitant to join although I knew I would be in there before I could leave.  I was not about to miss out on the holy water!  I waited in line in the water for my turn to cleanse under the water spickets, moving down the row for a total of 10 dunks.  As I approached the last one, I was curious why everyone was staring at me in disbelief.  "That one for dead people," explained a woman to my left.  So I quickly exited the bath and moved onto the second one to start the process over again.  Although I was a bit cold by the end, this experience was irreplaceable!  
Mason and I waiting to dunk in the holy water

Tirta Empul Temple


No comments:

Post a Comment